This pattern, Simplicity 2594, has been sitting in the drawer for a long time so I thought I’d give it a go using some stash chiffon (100% polyester) bought years ago, to make a wearable muslin if you will. I made view B without any alterations and find the fit pretty good although there is a fair amount of ease so you may consider going down a size. It does require fabric with some drape for the cowl-neck versions which are cut on the bias.
I followed the instructions in the pattern but because I was using a lightweight fabric I sewed french side seams. Just a word of caution in regards to attaching the yoke. The instructions aren’t all that clear and it appears others found this an issue too, not helped by the fact I had fabric that looked similar on the right and wrong sides, but taking it step wise should get you through. The instructions recommend top stitching around the yoke and I think this gives a nice finish.
There are 3 pleats at the shoulder seams which are a bit hard to see in this fabric but are a nice design element along with some gathers at the back yoke. The front drape isn’t too low and is finished with a narrow hem rather than a facing but does tend to favour one side and needs to be adjusted probably because how it is cut on the bias. I found the armhole was slightly lower than usual which doesn’t worry me as I will always wear a singlet under this, but may be something to check if using a non-sheer fabric and don’t want to feel exposed. Not much else to add, it is a great basic wardrobe builder and I will definitely make it again.
Coincidently it co-ordinates well with my newly made maxi skirt and will also be a good pairing with a few other items in my sewing list.