Debbie from Lily Sage & Co is amazing. A wife, a mother of 3, and an awesome pattern designer, and who knows what else she accomplishes in her daily life. She is really coming up with unique and fun designs and with such efficiency. I once again volunteered to test* her newest pattern. Some people don’t like the testing process but I have found it’s something I really enjoy doing. Possibly due to the fact there is a deadline so I know things need to get done and I would be letting someone down otherwise.
This pattern is the Daisy Chain Top. As all the other patterns I have made from Lily Sage & Co, the pattern fits together well and instructions are really clear and thorough. Version 1 is my tester version. This fabric was chosen by my oldest, she wanted both a skirt and dress but as it’s a little sheer, it would have required a lining, but for this project it’s the perfect weight to allow the gathers to flow freely. The only thing was that it was so light weight and I forgot to interface my button and buttonhole packets so hopefully they don’t give in to any strain. I had made a mental note of this at the time but should have actually written it down somewhere.
I made view A with the ruffle sleeves. Being a tester version I followed the instructions however deviated when it came to seam finishes. Due to the nature of the fabric I chose french seams for the side seams for extra reinforcement.
The instructions have you bias finish the neckline and the armholes after sleeve attachment so that all seams are enclosed and the inside is really neat.
The hem is quite long and I chose to do a rolled hem which was a little tricky as some of the gathered “skirt” portion ends up being on the bias although instructions recommend bias finishing.
Version 2 and 3 are using the final pattern. I believe that only aesthetic changes were made from the tester version, ie button placement on the back.
Version 2 is using some newly acquired fabric, printed voile honeysuckle SPV9292 in coral (100% cotton). Nothing to say except another nice addition to her wardrobe.
Version 3 was for my baby. I used fabric from a maternity top sitting in the cupboard waiting to be refashioned and some white top pop poplin (80%poly/20% cotton) for the ruffles. Due to my fabric limitations the width of the gathered skirt portion was 6cm less in this version but not overly noticeable. I was able to use the hem of the existing top for the hem of this top with just a bit of fussing to get the pieces aligned. I tried to match the stripes at the back and side seams best as I could. Otherwise I stitched it up exactly as instructed.
I will mention I cut a size up for both girls than their measurements so the tops last longer but as you can see this is less obvious for my taller model. This is actually designed to be a loose fitting top anyway.
Both girls love their new tops and I can see some playing around with this pattern in the future to make some different versions. The pattern is probably for an advanced beginner due to techniques such as bias binding finishes, making buttonholes and attaching buttons, but there’s no reason why anyone couldn’t tackle such a great pattern especially with great instructions and diagrams.
PS. We always need to add in the token twirling shots!
*The pattern was provided to me free of charge for testing but all opinions expressed are my own and I received a copy of the finalised pattern for taking part. Debbie also offered the choice of one of her other patterns for free for being involved in this round of pattern testing.