This post is a two for one today as both items are recent makes, ie within the last week.
First up the skirt, New Look 6107, view D, the longer skirt, made up in white cavalier garbardine (65% polyester/ 35% viscose). This pattern has definitely become my TNT pencil skirt and I have also drafted lining pattern pieces to go with this vented skirt using the tutorial by a Fashionable Stitch. I like that the skirt has a nice size waistband, centre back zip, a walking vent and the front and back darts give the skirt a nice fit.
I used white pongee lining (100% polyester) as it is a more dense fabric as opposed to the acetate lining I had in my stash. White isn’t a great colour to wear, especially on the bottom half because you can look bottom heavy and it gets dirty easy but is an easy colour to match up never the less.
I changed the zipper from a lapped one to a 20cm white invisible zip as that it what I had in my stash but I also like the look of them better.
It’s a nice fit and length skirt and if it ain’t broke don’t fix it although I think I may like to peg the skirt slightly. There will be more of these in my immediate future, two of which have already been cut.
On to the blouse. I have never made any other garments from this same pattern (New Look 6107) and thought to pair view C with this floral cotton poplin (100% cotton) because I wasn’t too sure which pattern to use with this fabric anyway when finalising my SWAP 15 a while back.
I followed the instructions exactly and thought at worst I would end up with a wearable muslin. The blouse itself goes together quite quickly and I really like that it has an underlap where the buttons are so there is no accidental flashing. I also like that pattern pieces are provided for neckline and armhole binding, or facings as they call them in the pattern.
I forgot to purchase the required buttons for this project on my many trips to the store but I thankfully had this 11mm self covered buttons kit. They are super easy to make, though they get lost on the blouse however due to the busy print. The button loops are also barely visible due to the print.
The length is nice but I wish I had taken more notice of the reviews and cut a second yoke to enclose the seams for a nice, neat finish inside. I find the neckline quite low for my liking and need to wear a camisole to feel secure and should have made the blouse a size larger at the bust, perhaps it would be better to do an FBA. I also think I need to do a sway back adjustment, which I never have done before. I also think this blouse may be nicer in a fabric with more drape as the cotton is quite stiff.
The blouse looks and sits just as well when tucked in as it does when worn loosely. It only has 6 buttons with the bottom portion below the last button, free to flap open although it doesn’t do so very easily.
I have been able to mark off another two SWAP 15 basics from my list. There are a couple more cut and ready to go. In case you are wondering I’m a living where it is hot all year around so don’t have to think about sewing autumn/fall and winter projects. I’m actually surprised with my progress and ability so far to stay on target. I’m sure by the time I finish though, I will be into another colour palette.
PS I should have ironed my skirt first!