I have been imagining sewing this Lonsdale dress for such a long time and finally got around to it. It is my second Sewaholic pattern that I have sewn yet is one of four that I own, I will get around to the others eventually. I really like their patterns, the fit and the clear diagrams and instructions and of course the blog, which is how I got to know about them years ago.
I made view A using some navy nautical voile #2 abstract (100% cotton). The bodice requires it to be self lined as the ties are an extension off the bodice and the underside is visible when tied up. I probably should have lined the skirt however, as it is a light fabric and a bit transparent in the sunlight.
Unfortunately with the busy fabric it is hard to see some of the features of the pattern, like the nice sized pockets. I inserted a 16″ (40cm) black invisible zip (ooops! that’s all I had) at the back but first ironed on some interfacing on the seam allowance for strength. My seams were neatened with the overlocker and I did a narrow machine hem.
I think this is a very flattering silhouette and fit well all over generally, however I did have some gaping at the underarm area near the bust line, particularly noticeable in the first photo, although depending on how I stand it seems to correct itself. After wearing the dress for the day I decided to take out about 2 cm from each side by making 2 darts at the neckline, fortunately this is when the busy print did come in handy as they are barely noticeable. I ended up making them about 10cm long. Next time I will correct for this in the pattern.
The only thing is that once the dress is on it is near impossible to tie the bow in the back but I can get it on and off without having to undo and re tie the bow. I think others have mentioned this too. Next time I make this I will either use a plain fabric or one with a bigger print to highlight the design details. I am also envisioning making this into a skirt as I really like the pocket construction and fit of the bottom half. Until next time.