Yet another dress to add to the arsenal, and it’s black again. I used New Look 6301 in my quest to find a nice wrap dress, although this is a mock wrap, I figure if I can get the fit of the bodice right then I should be able to add the skirt portion from another pattern.
I decided on view B initially, with the short sleeves and flowy skirt but since I had purchased this ITY black jersey (100% polyester) without a pattern in mind I only had 1.5m. I had cut out all my bodice pieces and realised I didn’t have enough for the flowy skirt which I also wanted to lengthen. A trip to the fabric store and it had all sold out, so action plan B. I decided to cut view D (required 1.9m fabric) in the end and it just fit on my length of fabric, including lengthening the skirt by 3 inches.
I used a narrow zig zag stitch for construction, neatening my seams with the serger. I used the included pieces for my neck and armhole bindings and once attached to the bodice, I chose to serge the seams rather than grade them as instructed to do.
Although not completely evident from the pattern envelope, this dress has an elasticised waist. I chose to eliminate it because I felt my bodice was a good fit and the ties tighten the dress up anyway. I probably would shorten the bodice next time by 2cm. The ties can either be tied at the front (above pictures) or to the back (bottom pictures).
For the hem, I serged the raw edge and then turned it up 1 inch (as per instructions) and stitched with a narrow zig zag stitch. My twin needle was playing up again and I think it just doesn’t like this fabric for some reason, maybe it is too slippery.
I am happy with the outcome and fit of this dress and think the pattern will be a good candidate for some franken-pattern dressmaking.