Black and White Polka Dot Burda Blouse #105 from 4/2010

This Flounce Detail Blouse #105 from 4/2010, has been a long time coming. I traced and cut my pattern pieces out sometime in 2013. It has been sitting patiently waiting in a bag to be finished. To be perfectly honest, the motivation to sew it to completion was almost non-existent and I wasn’t sure if this style was me anymore, and also owed to the fact I used pretty much the same fabric as the model photo. Mine is a black with polka dot monotone printed chiffon (100% polyester)….. Regardless, I wanted to get a UFO finished and into the wardrobe to focus on more fun stuff. Here is is worn with a belt and tucked in with my New Look 6107 white skirt.

Burda blouse out front

                         Burda blouse out back Burda blouse out back 2

As per normal Burda instructions, they are sparse, and written without diagrams. This pattern is labelled intermediate and I think that it fair as you really need some knowledge about blouse construction. I found the instructions in regards to the flounces, collar and neckline very ordinary and confusing myself at times but soldiered on.

Burda blouse in front

Burda blouse in sideThe neckline is quite low on this blouse which is okay with me in this instance as my fabric is transparent and requires a singlet be worn underneath anyway. It has a left side zip. I ended up making my usual Burda size and actually eliminated the zip because I can pull the blouse on and off with some sort of ease. The bust and back darts give it some nice shaping.

The instructions have you interface the centre front where the “V” is and I chose not too, thinking it may be visible, but in hindsight I should have as it would have strengthened the area and also would not be visible as the flounces cover that area.

The hemming of the ruffles takes some time, I did a machine narrow hem and for the blouse hem I used 12mm single fold black bias tape to preserve length.

I did french seams for the side seams because my fabric frays and the edges are visible through the fabric so I wanted them to look nice. The yoke has all enclosed seams. I ended up using black 12mm single fold bias tape for the armholes. I initially sewed on the facing for the neckline and it just wouldn’t sit flat so off it came and I enclosed the neckline seam with the same 25mm black bias binding and hand stitched it so the stitching wasn’t visible from the outside.

I wish this was a bow blouse instead as I don’t know how much wear the flounces will get, although now that I have said it, my blouse will probably become a work horse. The flounces don’t always sit nice but I guess it’s good to have a not so basic blouse in rotation. And who doesn’t love polka dots!!!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s