In my quest to find a perfect wrap dress I decided to try the Kwik Sew 3489 pattern. With lots of positive reviews and a nice shape I thought it was worth a try. I purchased this red printed rayon knit # 2 tropical (100% rayon) back in May, started the dress in July and finally finished it in November. I wasn’t sure what to make with the fabric initially but found this image in Stylish Sewing with Stitches magazine, Volume 23, No 6 and used it as my inspiration. I have since bought fabric that is more similar to the image but don’t really want two red based wrap dresses in my closet.
I made view B which has short sleeves, no collar and spaghetti wrap around ties whereas the ties in view A are slightly wider and only tie at the side. Many reviews mentioned that sizing runs big, and I found this to be true also and went down a size but realistically could have gone down another.
My fabric shifted a lot while cutting and sewing as it is so light weight and for this reason I should have lined the dress, but being lazy I didn’t, I just need to wear a slip underneath. I made the mistake of attaching the wrong sleeves to the left and right sides and although it doesn’t make a real big difference when worn, I had to stretch while sewing slightly to get them to fit. I didn’t realise this until after I had stitched and serged the first one on and wasn’t going to unstitch my work.
I also found it unusual that they mention in the instructions to use a bobby pin to turn the narrow tube of the ties, I do this all the time and find it much more reliable than a safety pin, even for threading elastic through channels.
The instructions provide the option to add elastic to the waistline, normally I wouldn’t, but found my fabric has little recovery and the bodice was loose anyway, so in this instance I chose too. This also helps with preventing the weight of the skirt from lowering the waistline too much when worn.
I ended up top stitching the opening where the tie runs through the right side seam for extra strength and support, otherwise it is left raw. The neckline is interfaced and I found mine wanted to flip out a lot, probably because the bodice is actually a bit big, but decided to top stitched the neckline as per the optional instructions. I also squared off the curve on the front wrap portion to make a more classic wrap dress. You can see how much the fabric has dropped as my version looks much longer than the pattern envelope. The wrap is fairly substantial, no accidental exposure.
I will be making this again with a more stable knit and will definitely size down the bodice but keep the same size on the skirt. I really like the fit of this otherwise and it doesn’t take long to sew.