BOO! Designs Spandex Skater Dresses 

You know when you buy a pattern because it’s popular and then let it fester in your stash for months before you use it, this was one such pattern. It has had long standing popularity on Facebook and now that I have made it I understand why.

The Spandex Skater dress by BOO! Designs is such a quick sew and especially if you don’t take the extra time to neaten any edges/seams, the joys of knit fabric. I however like to have nice insides as well as outsides so serged my seams.

Regardless, each dress was probably sewn in half an hour as I had already cut the pattern pieces out about 1 month ago, and that time includes sewing the binding on the neckline and armholes.

Miss 4 got 2 of these dresses, the first is her “Frozen” dress. The bodice was cut out from some leggings she had that she refused to wear and I was able to cut a complete regular front bodice and a racer back from a pair of leggings. I did have to piece together the bindings though as I didn’t have enough fabric to get the stretch going the right way. It’s a busy print so the joins don’t show up anyway. I added a drill periwinkle (100% cotton) skirt, totally allowable to mix knit and woven by the way. The dress as is, falls to the knees so I used 12mm light blue single fold bias tape to hem and thus preserve as much length as possible. Miss 4 loved this dress and actually requested to wear it do bed so I have losely promised to make this style of dress into a nightie, am I crazy????

Frozen dress

Version 2 was for miss 2 because anything big sis wants, little sis wants too. I was lucky enough to have a frozen t-shirt, unworn, in the cupboard. It was a big size 1 and I was able to get a simple front bodice and racer back cut. I didn’t have enough for binding so used some white performance cotton lycra, from the stash, and likewise the skirt was made using some chambray cotton linen (55% cotton/ 45%linen) which creases like crazy. I hemmed it using 12mm light blue single fold bias tape.

Version 3 is made from scuba fabric with a simple bodice and simple back. This was even quicker to sew because I didn’t have to worry about hemming it. I used printed arrow scuba #1 abstract (95% polyester/ 5% spandex) for the dress and bindings. Because scuba is quite thick it was hard to serge through multiple layers but turned out well. This fabric isn’t very stretchy but still easy to get on and off.

Version 4 was for miss 2 again, keeping consistent here. I used the left over bits from the arrow scuba and some dark purple plain scuba to make her dress. Again, it was super fast to make, it took one hour tops, including all the cutting of pieces with some interruptions. After miss 4 saw this version she has requested one too with this combination but I think I only have enough fabric left for a peplum top version instead but she is happy with that.

The only thing I have noticed is that with the purple scuba there are some pulled threads starting to show in the fabric, probably because my little miss is so active.

Boo arrow dress

 

Both my girls have loved twirling in these dresses and they are in constant rotation, and I have more planned as part of their Christmas presents. Stay tuned!!!!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s