Blue Scuba Mash Dress of Vogue 8711 and Miss Ruby Tuesday

This is still part of my 2015 sewing, and I have more yet to come before I start on 2016 makes.

I bought this blue digital printed scuba #1  fabric (95% polyester/ 5% spandex) on a whim, not sure what to make with it but decided it would become my birthday dress. Initially I was going to make the Miss Ruby Tuesday dress because it is a quick sew and I have worn this version quite a lot. Not to mention scuba doesn’t require ironing and is easy to launder.

Ruby mash frontRuby mash back                                 Ruby mash side

I decided on a mash up of the Miss Ruby Tuesday bodice because it fits well and for the fact it is quick to sew, but went with a fancy skirt portion, not ideal considering I was making this the night before my birthday dinner. I used Vogue 8711, which has been on my to sew list for ages. The fabric doesn’t really help with the pleating and to overcome the “puffy” factor at these pleats I top stitched them down for about 5cm but I don’t mind the body it gives the skirt since the bodice is simple. It’s a bit hard to see the design lines in this print but in the photo below you can just tell where the pleating ends at the front curved yoke.

Ruby mash side 2

The back of the skirt has curved yoke pieces that would otherwise be sewn to a waistband but because I was attaching them directly to the bodice, I stitched them together first in the middle. This meant the skirt wasn’t completely aligned at the sides but due to the stretch fabric it didn’t concern me. What I really should have done is sewn them to the bodice in the same manner.

line drawing

The bodice was slightly narrower than the skirt in the end but I just shaved off/curved the skirt waistline to match and I probably should have shortened the bodice by an inch as there is some pooling of fabric back there which wasn’t existent with the circle skirt attached.

For the hem I serged and turned up the amount recommended by the pattern, it was quite a deep hem from memory, and then stitched it down. Construction of the dress was done with a normal straight stitch and neatened with the serger.

I’m pleased with the outcome but still plan to sew the skirt separately in a fabric with more drape. I think that the curved back yoke pieces add some bulk to the lower back in this particular fabric because of the many interconnecting seams and if I had thought it through properly I should have made the back yoke one piece.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s