Bloem Top by The Eli Monster as a Brand Ambassador Sew

I’m not doing a great job promoting these patterns at the moment as a brand ambassador but am trying to stay diligent for 2019.

The Bloem Top (**affiliate link) by The Eli Monster is a simple, airy casual top perfect for warmer weather. Excellent for beginners as the necessary sewing techniques are basic and also it is super fast to sew. This top features bias trim neckline and arm openings, a simple single button back closure and a subtle high/low hem. There is also a kids version available if you want to add some wardrobe basics for everyone.

Like the rest of The Eli Monster’s patterns, The Bloem Top is layered which means you only need to print the size you are making.  All steps are accompanied by colour photographs. To save paper, cutting dimensions for rectangular pieces are included in lieu of pattern pieces.

I used a nice drapey mustard sketch printed rayon 135cm (100% viscose rayon). Looking back however perhaps I could go down 2 sizes next time as it has ended up quite roomy but also perfect for hot, sweltering weather. Also I made an error with the neckline but didn’t bother fixing it. The bias trim is not mean to be turned completely to the inside which I did without thinking, but instead should be half visible as a finish. I’m okay with that in this version because I was too lazy to make my own so used black instead and don’t know if that would have been visually appealing. Also because I did this, those neck gathers aren’t as obvious as they are meant to be as I sewed them down when I top stitched. Face Palm!!!!

The fit issue I have become more aware the more I sew is that often armholes are too tight in sleeveless garments. This is not the case with the Bloem top. They come down quite low so I’m not feeling restricted in any way and also no undergarments are visible so don’t need to worry about showing too much.

For quite a simple top the finishes are nice. The instructions have you finish the hem with bias tape however I cheated and surged, turned and top stitched. I wasn’t sure if the bias would affect how the hem flowed since this fabric is so drapey. Probably not an issue if I had made my own with the same fabric however the bought bias felt a bit stiff.

Also once complete, I noticed the back closure was not really necessary as I can get the top on and off without undoing it. I’m not sure if I went down a couple of sizes whether this would be affected but will need to check for next time. I would love to make a nice crisp white version for summer, perhaps in some eyelet fabric.

I honestly recommend this pattern for a wardrobe basic which takes no time to sew up.

**This post contains affiliate links to The Eli Monster Patterns

Also just a quick update on my fabric quota for the month of January according to my Stash Shrinker in this post. I purchased 10.1m for the month of January and sewed 3.5m. Lets hope February sways more the other way!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s