This is this photo I saw on Pinterest from mesewcrazy that inspired this particular project. After my recent debacle with the McCall’s dress I wanted a quick, satisfying project. Mesewcrazy made her skirt from plaid and lace and although I knew I didn’t want those particular fabrics I did like the contrast colour hem band. I found this perfect sateen but wish they had it in another colourway for my hem band and so instead decided to just make my skirt out of one fabric.
I self-drafted this skirt and used printed sateen squares (97% cotton/3% spandex) in black/ivory fabric. Briefly I cut 2 rectangles of fabric for the front and back at about 36 inch long with 4 inch additional for each pleat (3 on front and back). I pinned the pleats so they were evenly spaced, about 5 1/2 inch apart and stitched the pleats about 4 inches from the top to avoid the poofing which I find unflattering on me.
I initially wanted pockets in this skirt but found they didn’t lay flat for some reason so omitted them in the end. I added a 10 inch (25cm) black invisible zip to the side seam with a hook and eye, but find that something weird is happening at this side. I normally fuse some interfacing on the zip seam but didn’t this time and therefore don’t think it sits quite right. I have worn this skirt once already and it didn’t phase me too much, I just try to iron it as flat as possible.
My waistband was 22 inch long and 4 inch wide. I interfaced one side of the waistband and folded in half and attached to the skirt. I hand stitched the waistband down on the inside.
I found once the dress was assembled it was a little loose so ended up taking it in about 4cm from either side. Since wearing and washing it once, I still feel it needs to be taken in some more.
The skirt length was a guestimate and I ended up turning up the hem 4.5cm and hand stitched for an invisible hem. I’m not sure if this is the correct length on me. Any suggestions?
I am happy to add this separate to my wardrobe and think it will get lots of wear but I think now I need to sew up a nice white, boxy crop(ish) top to complete the look.
As I’m all about scrap busting this year I decided to immediately sew up a clutch with left over fabric although will probably never wear the two items together as I think it’s too much. I completely lined the clutch with black cotton sateen (96% cotton/ 4% spandex) from the stash and used a 14 inch invisible zipper (stash) although would have preferred a metal one. The clutch pieces were cut to 24 x 14 inch measurements and then I essentially winged construction but think it turned out really cute. While I was at it I thought I would also make some hair bows for my girls. So I’m really happy with my efforts and the scraps were literally scraps and went straight in the bin.