5004 Easy Tee but Maternity Dress Version


With formalities out the way, I’m back to blogging. I’m embarrassed within myself that I have had a poor blogging year by my personal goals and along with that, sewing productivity was lower than normal. More than likely due to the fact I was growing a little human being but given our third child is now three months old and I still have maternity clothes to blog about, it’s a bit embarrassing.

I tested* the maternity version of the 5004 Patterns Easy Tee and Dress back in May 2017. As the name suggests it is both quick and easy to sew up. A tonne of options are included such as Shirt, Tunic, Short dress, and Knee Length Dress with turned hem or band, pockets (yes!), maternity pattern pieces, waist tie, breast pocket, crew, scoop or v-neck, hoods and cuffs and thumbholes. It’s available in women’s sizes XXS-5XL but also a kids version with a lot of great options. Also, you can save $2 when you buy the Women’s and Kids’ Easy Tee patterns at the same time (check out the pattern listing for the code).

When I was pregnant this time around, I tried to avoid buying any maternity clothes and wore a lot of my existing wardrobe as far as I could stretch it however when the call when out to test this pattern, timing was perfect. I made a first version using a heavier, less stretchy knit and the fit was off. I then used ITY jersey (95% polyester/5% spandex) in marine for this one and found it a lot more comfortable. Having said that, I barely reached for this dress in the end as I felt it was too fancy for everyday wear.

I made the v-neckline with the 3/4 sleeve and found the fit to be pretty spot on with a good amount of rouching at the side to accomodate the growing belly. At this stage of my pregnancy I probably could have gone down a size but for the later stages the fit was better. I was of course wanting to sew another version before blogging but clearly that didn’t go so well. It’s has detailed instructions throughout with good pictorials as well as hyperlinks. I had a really successful v neckline, woo, hoo.


I will get sewing some basics from this pattern in 2018 at some stage to test out some of the other options.

I’m hoping blogging will become a bit more routine as my sewing time is so erratic and I have lots of drafts and unblogged things to publish and write about.

*The pattern was provided to me free of charge for testing but all opinions expressed are my own and I received a copy of the finalised pattern for taking part.


Lovesick Bather Top: George and Ginger Patterns and 5 Out of 4 Patterns Mash-Up

This post is pretty delayed, like all of them are really, considering I made these bathers in June for our family vacation in July/August when I was about 31 weeks pregnant and now we have our 5 week old baby girl safely home with us.

I decided to make some bathers, as maternity ones are really expensive and considering the short wearing capabilities I didn’t want to spend a lot of money. I searched online for patterns or tutorials but eventually forged ahead to make my own.


I ended up using the Lovesick Bra, which is actually a free pattern by George and Ginger Patterns if you join their Facebook page, plus they have lot’s of other patterns there too. Because these would be strictly vacation bathers, I didn’t bother with inserting too much support but if I were to make the pattern again for everyday use as a bra, I would definitely consider adding cups.

I made the recommended size and used some not ideal swimwear fabric (probably not chlorine resistant and definitely not UV protective). My first top was made from some 100% dance dot nylon spandex in black and white stripes (80% nylon/20% spandex) and the second top was using some poly spandex knit in red aztec print (95% poly/ 5% spandex) and some white knit fabric for the lining (not sure what type or composition, I had it in my stash). I made the bra as instructed but did omit the bottom band and cut the bottom part of the bathers using the maternity pattern piece from the Women’s Easy Tee by 5 Out of 4 Patterns (of which I did the testing for the maternity option – hopefully with a blog post to follow). I essentially measured down from the bralette underarm to determine the length I wanted the top and cut it to that length on the maternity pattern. The maternity top had a larger circumference around the “waist” than the bra so I just gathered it to fit.


For the stripe version I winged a bow to add as some detail at the front. After wearing both of these, well not really, the weather ended up being too cold to go swimming other than the hotel pool which wasn’t even really heated to my liking. I can say the black and white top was a much better fit. The fabric was firmer with better recovery. The aztec version was quite flimsy and thin and hung loser on the body.

I didn’t make any bottoms to pair with the top as my existing ones as well as my swim shorts still fit ok although I clearly didn’t wear them for the photos. So after minimal wear, they have been retired for now but I may be able to take in the side seams and make them a normal fitting bather top someday.