Simplicity 1425 Peplum Top… Cop Out or Copy Cat?

In my quest to finish off 2015 without any UFO’s I tried really hard to get them done. Such as this top which was actually started in December of 2014, it definitely had a lot of time to marinate. Anyway, I finished it on the 23rd of December 2015. I think I ended up with 2 UFO’s in the end for 2015 which is a vast improvement from previous years.

I remember way back I had decided to make a peplum top after purchasing a few that I found really versatile and flattering for my body type and so feminine. I was initially drawn to this Simplicity 1425 pattern (I think has now become OOP) from the model photo and really liked the combination of fabrics so ………….. I bought myself some eyelet and chiffon but in navy as to not be a complete copy cat. It really made fabric shopping quite simple really and it was one of the few instances I walked into the fabric shop with a plan, bought what I needed, and walked out again.

Simplicity 1425 frontSimplicity 1425 side back                          Simplicity 1425 side (2)

I also liked this pattern because of the neckline variations and endless possibilities in a pattern is money well spent in my opinion as they cost so much here in Australia. I also liked the princess seams as it allows for a more fitted bodice with easier adjustments. My fabric is navy aruna eyelet (composition unknown) and navy 100% dance poly chiffon (100% polyester) and I chose not to underline my top as I will wear a singlet underneath anyway. I made version B but omitted the collar. For the neckline and armholes I serged the raw edges and turned up the seam allowance twice as for a narron hem and stitched to finish.

I changed the back closure as I felt the 3 required buttons would have made me self conscious and feeling too exposed and lets face the logistics of trying to button this top up on your own. I don’t think I’m just that flexible anymore. I inserted a matching navy 12 inch (30cm) invisible zipper to almost the full length of the top to make it easier to wear. Due to the eyelet fabric, I used some 25mm navy bias tape at the zip area for strength and stability, interfacing would have not looked nice and been too visible.

Simplcity 1425 back

Everything went pretty smoothly and I am finding with the Big 4 patterns I am often having to alter the upper back and take in 1-2 inches and taper to a normal seam allowance at the waist, which works okay if there is a centre back seam but run into trouble otherwise. I also shortened the bodice by 1 inch but left the length of the peplum portion the same.

I think the pleats on the peplum give it some body and shape and is a nice change to the circle/flounce versions. I like the look of this top best with a slim skirt on me however it would probably go well with a pair of slim (cigarette) pants or jeans. Overall I’m pleased this top was a quick, stress free sew with a good outcome.